One of the most important things we can do at the beginning of the year is to help our students understand the concept of proficiency: what it is, where they’re at, where they’re going. Browse through previous posts tagged “proficiency” for lots of help on informing about proficiency, as well as improving it. These posts include:
- Why proficiency shouldn’t be a secret
- The very popular proficiency & tacos post
- The also very popular proficiency-based performance assessment rubric
- My advice for novice-learner teachers from an AP teacher’s perspective
- What it means to use paragraph form
- Pushing students toward intermediate low
Believe me, any moves you can make toward a proficiency-based classroom will really pay off as you see your students become more communicative!